A Searchable Book List

Through the recommendation and help of Laura Chandler I have created a searchable book list for all the books I have reviewed. I knew I was going to need something more than the label feature in the sidebar so when Laura suggested this, I jumped on it!

The spreadsheet lists title, author, theme, reading level, if I created a freebie to go with the book and the link to a complete packet created for the book. To make finding the blog post about that book easier I have linked the title, theme and freebie to the review page on my blog. This spreadsheet will give you the opportunity to search and sort depending on your need {are you looking just for titles, for author, theme or reading level}.

As I review books I will update this list so it will always be current. Right now I have mainly K-3rd grade level books but I have just gotten started! I will be diving into chapter books as well as picture books geared for older grades.

I do have a page {CLICK HERE TO GO TO IT} on my blog just waiting for book suggestions from you. If there is a book you would like to have reviewed and just don't want to do it yourself, leave me a comment and I will help you out!

Now getting on to the spreadsheet...


In the side bar you will find an image {that looks like the one below} of an excel spreadsheet with the title "Book List".
When you click on the image it will take you to a Google Docs page of the spreadsheet {it will look like the image below}.

From here you can download it as an Excel document {or whatever you want to download it as} I would recommend Excel if you want to sort it by author, theme, or reading level. To do this simply click the file button and select "Download as" and then select Excel. The picture below shows the File button.

The spreadsheet will then open up in an Excel spreadsheet. If you are unfamiliar with Excel I will help guide you through sorting the document.

1. Have the document open {make sure it is the Excel document and not the Google Docs document}.
2. Highlight everything in the document except for the title {just like the picture below...without the green part}.


3. Click on the Data button at the top and then select Sort.

4. The Sort window will open and then you can choose how you want to sort the document using the pull down arrow under Sort, your choices will be the document headings {title, author, theme, reading level, freebie, packet for sale}. Also make sure the Header button is selected.

5. Press OK and the spreadsheet should be sorted according to your criteria.

Just let me know if you have any questions or problems with this.

Happy searching!

13 comments

  1. Thanks for sharing this! I will definitely have to check it out! I am having a giveaway, come check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe how generous you are to share all this work. This is something I will be referencing often. Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love picture books and teaching with them, if I create something good I want to share it so that books are used more than just for read alouds. I hope you find something useful!
      Shawna

      Delete
  3. I just awarded you with a TOP 10 BLOG AWARD!

    Come check out my blog to see the post: Just Teaching...Kindergarten

    Check out this link so you can grab your button.. Top Ten Award Link

    Congrats!
    Miss S
    Just Teaching...Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Shawna! I just awarded you the Liebster Blog Award. Congratulations! I love your blog. Just stop by my blog to find out how to add this award.

    Have a great Monday!
    Krista
    stellar-students

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so sweet! Thank you for the kind feedback from my TpT freebie :)
    I'm your newest follower :)

    ❤ Mor Zrihen from...
    A Teacher's Treasure
    Teaching Treasures Shop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well hard work deserves a thank you! Thanks for becoming a friend of my blog!
      Shawna

      Delete
  6. I just awarded you with the Top 10 award because I love reading your blog!
    Get your award here: http://bit.ly/rtHPbL

    Congrats!
    Jen @ http://thegototeacher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Pamela,
    Thank you for your kind words! I have become a follower of yours, thanks for becoming a friend of my blog! If you need any help let me know!
    Shawna

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts and comments are always welcome!